Yes, there really is a day officially dedicated to tortilla chips. I suppose this means there is also a day dedicated to tortillas. Maybe two days, one for flour and another for corn. Maybe even blue corn, white corn and yellow corn.
Catastrophically, I was out of tortilla chips. Yet, there were lots of perfectly good corn tortillas, yellow, in the freezer. So... a little fooling around and tortilla soup here we come!
Tortilla Soup (sopa de tortillas con ajo)
- About 1 quart chicken broth
- 6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- about 1/2 tsp cumin
- about 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 large ripe avocados
- four springs of cilantro
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- salt to taste
The tortilla strips
- 2-3 Corn tortillas
- oil for frying
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- green onions, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- Place the garlic, onion, cumin, allspice and salt into the broth. Blend to a smooth consistency and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Cut the tortillas into 1/4" strips. Set aside
- Heat the oil, add the tortilla strips, toss to coat with oil. Fry a couple of minutes until they take a hint of color. Add the garlic and onions, toss around to distribute the flavor.
- Remove the strips from the pan drain on a paper towel in a plate. Place the strips in an oven proof dish and crisp in the oven, about 15-20 minutes.
- When the strips are ready, remove from oven and set aside.
- Remove stems from cilantro, set aside.
- Slice the avocado into thin slices, set aside.
- Taste the broth for salt, spices. Adjust as needed.
- Ladle the broth into four bowls. Add avocado, tortilla strips, cilantro.
- Serve immediately.