Sunday, August 14, 2011

Me, the vampire killer


Funny how things work out. We were walking through the Crocker after lunch when we happened to run into someone Annette met at an art gallery about a year ago. Someone mentioned Hungary, or being Hungarian, or how Hungarian is such a difficult language. I guess she is part Hungarian, in any case. I mentioned that Corti Brothers has Hungarian garlic - and that I was going to try to make some Hungarian flat bread (Langos).

She said to just use sliced rye - the crusty kind - and sprinkle it with salt, pepper, paprika and olive oil - then add sliced onions (or garlic) and enjoy. That's raw onions or garlic. No cooking to mellow it. Feel the burn! Strong stuff indeed.

I just happened to have baked a loaf of this type of bread last night, so I had all the ingredients, more or less. Hungarian garlic, rye bread, olive oil, a mix of Hungarian paprika and Spanish Pimentón agridulce, kosher salt, black pepper. Almost no preparation. Finally, something to eat that's not squash!

Although it doesn't sound like much, this combination of flavors will have you coming back for more. Annette decided to add French butter with sea salt and things got even more interesting (and less healthy, but so it goes).

In the end, we'd each consumed one raw clove of the finest Hungarian garlic. Maybe more. It's fizzing on my tongue as I type, and I can almost hear the Nosferatu packing their bags and calling UPS to ship their coffins back to Transylvania.

No comments:

Post a Comment